Thursday 18 June 2015

Lane's Edge Cafe and Bar, Melbourne CBD

When E and I met for lunch in the city back in March I chose a sentimental favourite cafe.  Many years ago in our childfree days, we went there regularly for a glass of wine after seeing movies at the Kino Cinema.  These days we are far more likely to go out for lunch than for drinks.  The menu seemed to offer a reasonable amount of vegetarian options and the kitsch courtyard beckons. 

The small bar at the front is quiet but there is a lively bustle in the fun courtyard which has a kitsch ambiance with plastic ivy, red beaded curtains and coloured lights.  (It has overhead heaters in winter.) 

Our waitress was very helpful in talking through the options.  From memory I think there was a vegetarian pasta special but not a veg soup.  I tossed up between vegetarian pizza, spanikopita roti wraps, and the Mediterranean salad.  It was a sunny day and I fancied something light so I chose the salad.

The Mediterranean salad comprised lettuce, red onions, olives, tomato, pan fried feta. herb and balsamic dressing with warm Turkish bread.  When it arrived I was disappointed that it only had a few small wedged of bread.  It also had a lot of green leaves.  However the dressing was full of flavour and the waitress brought me more bread at no charge so I was very satisfied.

The pies on offer change regularly.  E chose the chicken and sweet potato pie which came with chips and salad.  He loved the pie but was not keen on the salad.  (Is he ever keen on salad!)  I sampled a few chips and they were crisp and hot. 

The menu had enough vegetarian meals for me even if not terribly different than what is on offer elsewhere.  But who wouldn't enjoy decent food in a courtyard that is like a little tropical oasis in the city.  It does not offer a lot to vegans though the dips and chips might be suitable.  The menu notes that they have gluten free options.  And if you are after a fancy cocktail, you will be spoiled for choice.

When we paid our bill I was amused by the irony of our waitress wearing a t-shirt that read "freedom is my religion".  Then we headed out into the autumn sunshine to enjoy our time in the city. 

Lane's Edge Cafe and Bar
39 Bourke Street (up near the corner of Spring Street)
Melbourne CBD
03 9654 2409
www.lanesedge.com

Click to add a blog post for Lane's Edge on Zomato

8 comments:

  1. I have never noticed this place - will have to keep my eyes peeled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - when you pass it on the street you wouldn't know how cute the backyard is

      Delete
  2. This does sound like a cosy place to stop. And I was briefly thrown by your reference to a Kino cinema - one by the same name has recently opened in my grandparent's town of Rye, and they are besotted with it! I think they're visiting weekly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - wow a weekly visit to the cinema sounds like luxury - I wonder if that Kino cinema is part of the chain we have in Australia - they show great independent movies

      Delete
  3. I do love a chicken pie in winter - pies are so warming! It looks like you had a good lunch. I do try to balance my pies with a salad! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - the pie would be great in this weather but I don't think I would go for the Mediterranean salad in the middle of winter

      Delete
  4. Wow, I have never even noticed this place! The courtyard seems quite sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - you should check out the courtyard!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)