Tuesday 30 June 2015

Smoky cheese and roasted corn muffins

Recently we were teasing E that he is not a hipster because he does not have a huge beard.  So on the weekend Sylvia told him he just needed a cap and a muffin to be a hipster.  Apparently hipsters carry muffins.  I took care of the muffin with a round of baking.  However before it even came out of the oven Sylvia found E a cap.  The way she put it on him made him look more like Frank Spencer than a hipster.

The muffins were actually an attempt to use up some roasted corn.  I bought it ages ago and it had been staring at me from the pantry balefully each time I opened the door.  It had been a disappointing purchase.  I try to support some of our smaller stores but this roasted corn was past its best and overseasoned.  I hoped if I paired it with cheese in a muffin and didn't season the batter so much that it might just work.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the muffins were.  I added smoked paprika and could really taste it but otherwise held back on the other seasonings which was just as well.  With all the cheese and the bbq seasoning on the corn, they were full of flavour.

We ate them for lunch warm from the oven spread with chutney.  I took a few of the smaller ones along to my bookclub and they seemed well received.  Sylvia told me she enjoyed the chunks of chewy corn.  I did too.  Though I think I enjoyed the muffins more on the day of baking, especially when warm.  They were so soft and cheesey when warm from the oven.

We had them yesterday on the first day of the school holidays.  Every day this week starts with a swimming lesson for Sylvia at 9am.  A muffin was a great snack after a long swim after the lesson.  And I needed the energy for a long day of swimming, shopping, recipe testing, making grubs, tidying, sorting photos, making birthday cards and wrapping a present.  In fact at the end of the day when I sorted clothes for washing, I discovered that I had put Sylvia to bed without changing her into her pajamas.

And I regret to say that even with a muffin E does not look like a hipster.  Not to worry.  I finally had time to flick through the Sunday Age while tidying the newspapers tonight and I saw that hipsters are no long cool.  Apparently the new thing is Yuccies (Young Urban Creatives).  But they did not mention if you need a muffin to be a Yuccie!

More savoury muffins from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Artichoke, sun-dried tomato and cheese muffins
Cheese and pesto muffins
Cheesy almond muffins (gf)
Pumpkin and goats cheese muffins
Pumpkin miso muffins (v) 
Savoury beetroot, carrot, chocolate and goats cheese muffins
Smoky parsnip muffins

Smoky cheese and roasted corn muffins
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe

Makes 12 muffins and 9 mini muffins
  • 200g cheese, grated (I used 150 cheddar and 50 parmesan)
  • 1 1/2 cups self raising flour (I used 1 wholemeal and 1/2 white)
  • 1 cup seasoned roasted corn
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • good pinch seasoning
  • 1 cup plain natural yoghurt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
Grease 12 hole muffin tin and 9 mini muffin holes.  Preheat oven to 200 C.  Mix cheese, flour, corn, smoked paprika and seasoning.  Mix in yoghurt, egg and olive oil until you have a stiff batter.  Spoon into prepared muffin cups.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through when one is torn open (that is how I checked as the skewer test wasn't helpful).

On the Stereo:
Va Va Voom: Hummingbirds

17 comments:

  1. These sound and look amazing. I love the flavour of sweetcorn, especially roasted. What a yummy lunch idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - roasted sweetcorn is delicious and this is a cut above my usual boring lunch :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Yuccies carry Cheese & Roasted corn muffins in a satchel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne - yes I shall look out for these muffins on the what's hot and what's not list in the Sunday Age :-)

      Delete
  3. That's a very early swimming lesson for the school holidays! I am enjoying having no commitments these holidays; it's so nice not having to rush in the mornings. I do love savoury muffins xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - It is nice having a fairly quiet weekend after a busy week - am loving the sleep in - I think the kids need some relaxing mornings in the school holidays

      Delete
  4. Yuccies! What next! I was a bit horrified last year to see Moonee Ponds referred to as MoPo. Ha about the hipsters though, when we last went to Geelong husband was shocked that his Coke was served in a mason jar. He says it was just too hipster to bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - MoPo!!!! I have heard references to Coburg as The Burg which amused me. E would be horrified to be served coke in a mason jar - you need to show your husband this article - http://awol.com.au/10-melbourne-things-that-are-almost-too-hip-to-be-true/9124

      Delete
  5. Does Sylvia have swimming lessons inside? Swimming in Melbourne winter is quite hardy! These look like a great way to use up not-so-great corn and I love the corn / paprika pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - oh no - the lessons are inside in a heated pool - and I have been finding the pool a bit cold this year - perhaps it is the cold winter. They close the unheated outdoor pool near us in winter.

      Delete
  6. Guess I am a hipster, cause I often have a muffin in bag. :) Although maybe not, because my muffins are always sweet. Do you think that matters? LOL! Will have to give your recipe a whirl. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha anna - I wish I had a muffin in my bag more - it is more likely to be roasted chickpeas - maybe they will be the next to make their way into muffins though they are crunchier than corn.

      Delete
  7. They sound so good!
    I would love a nice hot muffin right about now!!
    Thanks for Sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - yep, any time is good for a muffin hot from the oven

      Delete
  8. I do love a good savoury muffin! And I have to agree..... chewy roasted corn is amazing tucked away inside them. Lovely recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I always get excited when cafes have nice savoury muffins - so much sweet baking in cafes and I wish there was more savoury but at least I have more choice at home

      Delete
  9. Sylvia makes me giggle ;p
    I have never made a savoury muffin before - I really should try that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)