Thursday 27 October 2016

Franken sushi and Halloween links

It's pretty silly, isn't it?  We have been talking about Halloween ideas here in our house.  Sylvia is swayed by certain cereal manufacturers to want to make Frankenstein monsters and spiders ou of cereal and lots of sugar.  I thought I would have a go at a slightly healthier sushi version.

It was not a total success.  Kale powder did not make the sushi quite as bright green as I had hoped.  The face on the kale green was not quite as prominent as I had hoped.  And Sylvia took one bite and said she didn't like the taste of the kale.  (It was slightly grassy but still quite tasty.)  I enjoyed a couple as work snacks/lunches, Sylvia had one moulded into a sausage shape and rolled in nori, and I chopped the last one and stirred it into soup.  Don't leave the face in the fridge for a couple of days unwrapped or the rice hardens and is only good for stirring into soup.

And if my funny old Franken Sushi is not enough for you, I can direct you to some lists of Halloween food.  I am proud that all of these include links to Halloween recipes of mine (yes that is a lot of links).  They are quite entertaining slideshows/lists to browse:

Also check out my round up of my own Halloween recipes,

I am sending my Franken Sushi to Kimmy and Mary-Ellen for Healthy Vegan Fridays.  They will be featuring some Halloween recipes tomorrow! 

Franken Sushi
By Green Gourmet Giraffe
Makes 4

1 cup sushi rice
1 1/2 cups water
4 tbspt sushi seasoning, or to taste
2 tbsp kale powder
carrots, olives and nori, to decorate

Cook sushi rice by placing in a small saucepan with one and a half times the amount of water.  Place a lid on, bring to the boil, stir and simmer (covered) for 20 minutes over a very low flame.  When cooked, stir in sushi seasoning and kale powder.

Line a rectangular tub with clingwrap with a large overhang.  Spoon about a quarter of rice into clingwrap.  Fold clingwrap over it and press down with another similar shaped tub.  Place lid on it and put in fridge to chill and firm up.

Just before ready to eat cut out hair, eyes and mouth and place on unwrapped sushi.  I cut a thin slice of carrot and carefully chopped out a fringe, used olives and carrot for the eyes and nori for the mouth.  However the carrot and olives didn't stay on so many next time I would just use nori for all the face. 

On the Stereo:
Set List: The Frames

10 comments:

  1. I love this Franken sushi so much! I think it's just perfect how it is and a brilliant idea using sushi for healthier Halloween snacks! I wish I had the patience to make something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fab and so good to know you made it with kale though a bit grassy. I was planning on making some sushi Halloween themed ones too inspired by some I saw at a farmers market but don't think I am going to get round to it. I do have a pumpkin pasta dish that I will be sharing later though, have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks pretty tasty to me! Thanks for the links to other Halloween recipes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johanna, this is such a cute and healthy idea for Halloween! It's probably one of the best healthy recipes I've seen for the season! I wish I had the link last week to feature you in our HVF Halloween roundup - this would have been the perfect dish! (We did feature your chocolate tahini balls though).



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I meant to add that we love having you link up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

      Delete
  5. So cute! Such a good, healthy Halloween recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah SO CUTE! Kale powder? I will have to track some down. I love these. I find it amusing that someone who doesn't really celebrate Halloween much making all of these awesome themed recipes =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it's not just me who has their Halloween things turn out not quite as intended ;) Yours looks good to me though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your Frankensushi is cute and very creative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)